What is Best Doctors?
Best Doctors is a suite of services that enables you to draw on the knowledge of medical experts to make sure you have the right diagnosis, the right treatment and the right care. It is offered in Australia through select insurance companies and affinity groups. Best Doctors can help you:
- Confirm a diagnosis or treatment plan through an expert review of your medical records
- Get expert answers to questions about a medical condition
- Get answers to basic medical questions from Australian General Practitioners
Our services are 100% confidential and provided over the phone and through our proprietary web platform.
What services does Best Doctors provide?
Best Doctors provides several services to help you make the right medical decisions:
- In-Depth Medical Reviews (InterConsultation) Through our InterConsultation service, your diagnosis and/or treatment plan are reviewed in detail by a leading medical expert. The expert provides a comprehensive report, either confirming what you’ve been told or recommending a change. It’s like getting a second opinion, only better.
- Ask the Expert You can get expert answers to basic questions about a diagnosis, treatment options or a health condition. Just call to discuss your concerns and we’ll deliver your questions to the most appropriate specialist. We’ll even help you determine what questions to ask.
- Doctor Online You can submit basic medical questions online to one of Best Doctors carefully selected Australian General Practitioners and receive an answer within 48 hours.
- FindBestCare If a Best Doctors expert reviews your case through InterConsultation and recommends overseas treatment, we can help you find it and provide whatever arrangements are necessary.
The Best Doctors services available to you will vary based upon your insurance company’s plan. If you are a Best Doctors member, you can access our services via the member portal.
Who offers Best Doctors?
Best Doctors is provided by select Australian insurance companies and affinity groups as part of their policyholder plans.
What types of medical conditions qualify for Best Doctors ?
Best Doctors provides services for a wide range of medical conditions. They can include everything from back pain and sports injuries to chronic diseases and life-threatening illnesses. Best Doctors does not provide emergency services or services for mental health disorders.
Do I have to travel or collect my own medical records ?
No. You make a confidential call to Best Doctors and we’ll handle everything for you. All your contact with Best Doctors is over the phone or the Internet. You do not need to travel, visit doctors offices or contact your doctor(s) to obtain records, images or other information related to your medical case.
Does Best Doctors share information about my case ?
Best Doctors is 100% confidential. We do not tell your insurance company about your call or its contents without your authorisation. The Best Doctors expert’s report is shared with your treating doctor(s) only with your consent.
Who are the doctors Best Doctors uses?
Best Doctors physicians include the world’s top medical specialists. They are selected by other doctors through a comprehensive review process. Best Doctors surveys doctors to find out which doctors they trust most. Every doctor in the survey is asked, If you or a loved one needed a doctor in a certain specialty, who would you choose? Doctors cannot pay to be included on the Best Doctors list or nominate themselves for consideration.
Do I have to follow Best Doctors recommendations?
No. You remain in full control of your healthcare decision-making. The information you receive from Best Doctors is intended to help you make informed decisions regarding your diagnosis and/or treatment plan. And only you can decide to share the report with your treating doctor. Best Doctors will not share your report with your doctor unless you authorise it.
Can you give me an example of how Best Doctors has helped someone?
There are many examples of Best Doctors helping patients with everything from minor surgery to life-threatening illnesses. You can see patients stories here.
How does Best Doctors in-depth medical review process (InterConsultation) work?
- You make a confidential call to Best Doctors.
- A dedicated Best Doctors Member Advocate has an in-depth discussion with you about your medical condition and obtains a full health history.
- With your written approval, Best Doctors collects all appropriate medical records, images and test samples.
- The Best Doctors clinical team conducts a comprehensive analysis of your case and selects the most appropriate expert(s).
- The expert reviews your case and provides Best Doctors with a detailed report that includes his or her recommendation(s).
- Best Doctors shares the report with you, as well as with your treating doctor with your consent.
- Best Doctors follows up to see if you need any other help.
Throughout the process, the Best Doctors Member Advocate is available to answer your questions.
How will Best Doctors work with my treating doctor?
Best Doctors shares its expert’s findings with you first and only with you. Then Best Doctors will share the expert’s report with your treating doctor with your authorisation. We will not share the report without your consent. Our goal is to provide useful information so that you and your doctor can make more informed decisions together regarding treatment.
Most doctors find that collaboration with other experts is very helpful, especially in complex situations. Best Doctors enables doctors to collaborate in a new way.
How does the Ask the Expert process work?
- You call Best Doctors with your concern(s).
- A member of the Best Doctors clinical team has an in-depth discussion with you to determine your questions and gather any necessary medical information.
- Your questions and medical information are sent to a medical expert for review.
- You receive a report with the expert’s answers within five-to-seven days, including suggestions for treatment options.
How does Doctor Online work?
- You submit your basic, non-urgent medical question(s) online.
- Your question is received by one of our carefully selected Australian General Practitioners
- You receive an answer within 48 hours.
How does Best Doctors build its network of specialists?
Best Doctors physicians include the world’s top medical specialists. They are selected by their peers through a comprehensive review process. This peer-driven survey includes a simple question that replicates the way that doctors find the best care for themselves and their families: If you or a loved one needed a doctor in a certain specialty, who would you choose?
Asking this question mirrors the informal peer-to-peer referral process that doctors themselves use to determine the most appropriate doctor for an individual case. Doctors are then screened for licensure, certification and disciplinary actions.
Over the past 20+ years, the global database of Best Doctors has grown to more than 53,000 specialists and subspecialists. We do not provide or accept fees for inclusion in our database. Doctors can only be accepted into the database through a peer-reviewed nomination poll.
Isn’t asking for a second opinion from Best Doctors insulting to my doctor?
Not at all. Treating doctors who have worked with Best Doctors appreciate having access to respected experts in their field of practice. They also gain access to information regarding innovative diagnostic and treatment protocols that might not be available in their local communities.
How will Best Doctors maintain my privacy?
Best Doctors complies with all relevant state, national and international laws and regulations related to patient privacy. Unless required by law, your specific name and medical information will NOT be shared with anyone, including your insurance company or treating doctor, without your written consent. On occasion, we may use de-identified information to help us improve the Best Doctors program.
Do I have to use Best Doctors if my insurance company offers it?
No. Participation is completely voluntary.
How do I know if I’m eligible for Best Doctors?
You’re eligible for Best Doctors if you are covered by an insurance policy that includes Best Doctors services. Please speak with your insurance company representative to find out more.
Where do I get more information about Best Doctors?
If your insurance company includes Best Doctors as part of your policy, speak with your insurance company representative to find out more. If you are not a Best Doctors member and would like to be, you can contact one of the Best Doctors partners below:
- MLC Insurance
- HCF Health Fund
- GMHBA Limited, covering:
- HIF Health Fund
We look forward to helping you.