Last updated: February 2015
Best Doctors Australasia Pty LTd (Best Doctors or we or us or our), with registered address at Level 10, 68 Pitt Street, Sydney, NSW 2000 respects the privacy rights of its customers and recognises the importance of protecting their personal information.
1. Information Collected and its Uses
1.1 What personal information do we collect?
Best Doctors only collects personal information that is necessary for us to be able to provide our services to you. Therefore the type and volume of personal information we collect varies according to the service. In general, to provide our services, we need to collect the following information from you: your personal (contact and identification) details, and information relating to your medical history. Personal information relating to your medical history will likely be sensitive in nature. You have explicitly consented to the collection of such information by signing the terms and conditions of our services and a specific authorisation for the collection of your medical records by us and subsequent overseas transfer. Best Doctors will put in place adequate safeguards for the protection of your personal information.
Best Doctors may also collect personal information such as contact and identification details of relatives or friends who may represent you. You confirm that you have informed them of our identity and the purposes (as set out below) for which their personal information will be used and that you have obtained their consent to sharing their information with us.
Best Doctors may record the telephone conversations it has with you to improve the quality of our services. You will be notified at the start of the telephone conversation that it may be recorded. In certain cases during a telephone conversation you may provide verbal authorisation for the following purposes:
- to process your personal data to use the services;
- to allow a third party to represent you during the provision of the services;
- or to engage in promoting our services.
Such verbal authorisation shall only be asked for where it is not practical or possible to obtain written authorisation.
1.2 How do we use your personal information?
Best Doctors uses the personal information we collect from you to provide, improve and promote our services. This includes, but is not limited to, using the information:
- To check your eligibility for the services;
- To provide a virtual second opinion;
- To recommend hospitals and/or doctors;
- To send you management and administrative information such as changes to our services;
- If required or permitted to do so by law.
2. Who has access to your personal information?
Best Doctors may share your personal information in the following circumstances:
- we may disclose your personal information (including medical information) with your insurer only where you have requested a specific service whose purpose is to undertake an assessment of whether you are suitable for a particular insurance policy;
- we may disclose your personal information to any law enforcement agency, court, regulator, government authority or other third party where this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party;
- we may share your information with trusted third parties (including contractors and service providers) to help with certain functions of providing you with the services. We will share your information with these trusted third parties only to the extent required to help with these functions and only pursuant to binding contractual obligations requiring such third parties to protect this information;
At no stage will we sell your personal information to third parties.
3. International data transfers:
4. Your rights
You can request a copy of any personal information that we hold about you (for which we may charge a small fee specified by law) and to correct any inaccuracies. You can also request that we delete your personal information, unless we are required or permitted to retain it by law.
Please use the contact details listed at the beginning of this policy to email or write to us should you wish to exercise any of these rights. Please provide proof of your identity when making such a request.
5. Keeping your personal information up-to-date
In order to ensure we provide the best service, please report to us any changes to your personal data that might be relevant for provision of the services.
6. Requests on behalf of others
7. How long do we hold your personal information for?
Applicable legislation requires us to hold your personal information for certain periods of time, for example, 10 years in the United States of America and 15 years in Australia and the European Union. We safeguard your personal information using the measures described below.
8. How do we safeguard your personal information?
We are committed to protecting your personal information. We have appropriate technical and organisational measures in place to protect the personal information you provide to us against unauthorised or unlawful use and against accidental loss, damage or destruction. Such measures include but are not limited to:
- Training staff on data protection;
- Disposing of personal data in a secure manner;
- Ensuring the physical security of the premises where personal information is processed;
- Signing confidentiality agreements with staff, providers and clients;
- Using effective password protection;
- Encrypting or password protecting emails and other communications containing sensitive personal data;
- Implementing a disaster recovery plan, that includes making backups of personal data; and
- Undertaking regular data security audits in order to detect errors and implement improvements.